Wardrobe Architect: Week 4 - Building Silhouettes | Commercially Alternative

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Wardrobe Architect: Week 4 - Building Silhouettes


Goal:
Create a set of balanced silhouettes.


This week was much more challenging than previous weeks. Leading up to week 4, I have filled out the required worksheets and happily answered questions about myself. Now, I needed to use what I've learned to create silhouette formulas. 

The exercise was to look over my shape ratings from last week and start combining them to create 5-10 silhouettes that would make good outfit formulas. 

Going through this exercise, I realized how weak I am in creating coordinates. I had trouble finding pictures of actual garments. I would get hung up on the color or material. Then I would spend far too much time searching for the correct accessories and shoes. In addition, what little I did find looked like a mess, unrealistic, or something that wasn't really me.

I needed to simplify. What was my goal for this project? Was it a complete wardrobe overhaul? No, it was a capsule wardrobe, a collection of a few essential items of clothing that will not go out of fashion, which can then be augmented with seasonal pieces. After looking over my previous worksheets, the answer was clear. 

My goal was to sew retro inspired dresses that I will actually wear for work or play. My descriptor words were classic, practical, elegant, natural, and feminine.

To further simplify matters, and not get bogged down by the rest of the coordinate, I looked at only the line drawings from patterns. This actually doubled as another exercise for the month of January, design or collect 20 pattern ideas that reflect your core style and preferred silhouettes. I found 15, but I think each fits my goal rather well and quite a few have different options for necklines, sleeve length, and skirt length.



Dresses with full skirts and defined waists





Dresses with straight skirts and defined waists
Sheath dresses




Full skirts




Straight skirts




Shirts

No comments:

Post a Comment