Wardrobe Architect: Week 2 - Defining a Core Style | Commercially Alternative

Thursday, January 15, 2015

Wardrobe Architect: Week 2 - Defining a Core Style



Goal:
Uncover the styles that make you feel like yourself and attach words and images to them.


When you are wearing your favorite clothing, how do you feel (e.g. confident, sexy, poised, powerful, etc)?


My favorite clothes make me feel pretty, tall, elegant, and glamorous. Like I stand out in a good way and turn heads. In my favorite clothes, I feel like a model. Right now, I’m thinking of my metallic leopard print sheath dress from Ann Taylor. Or my little black with white polka dots sheath dress I wear with my bright pink pumps to church. Or my full and fluffy, with my perfectly defined waist, wedding dress. (The last one gave me an overwhelming desire to twirl wherever I went) Poised and confident can also be words to describe my feelings. When I wear my favorite clothes, I actually feel like running into someone I know. (Though you never do. You only run into people you know when you are at the pharmacy counter at the grocery store in your hoodie with no makeup and you’re coughing a whole bunch) 





When you’re wearing something that is not quite right, how do you feel? What are the feelings you want to avoid about the clothes you wear?


Soggy. Frumpy. Chunky. Too busy. Over done. Like a tart.


Who do you consider to be your style icons? What is it about them that appeals to you?


Grace Kelly - She is all elegance and glamour. Her fashion choices and poise are classic.




Audrey Hepburn - Audrey is sleek and fun. She can go from chic slim pants to elegant party dresses effortlessly. In addition, I love how she pulls off a pixie.




Fanny Rosie - I sigh every time I see her post an outfit. Her style is classic, cute, and pretty. She has mastered the use of muted and royal colors. 


Source
Jennifer Lawrence - She has a sexy look to her while remaining quite elegant. I love edgy short haircuts and she does them extremely well.




What are some words that describe styles that you like in theory, but are not quite you?



Unstructured, baggy, loud, bright, bulky, bombshell, polyester


Look over your answers from last week on history, philosophy, culture, community, activities, location, and body. List at least 15 words that you associate with your answers. Think about descriptive words, moods, and feelings you associate with these things.



Retro, Vintage, Modest, Pretty, Professional, Comfortable, Easy, Cool (temperature wise), Classic, Structured, Elegant, Not Worldly, Natural, Tall, Minimalism, Appropriate, Mature


Are there other words you would like to add to this list? What other words describe your core style?



Glamorous, Feminine, Variety



Look over the answers to all of the questions above. If you had to narrow your list to only 3-5 words to describe you, which words would you choose?



Classic, Practical, Elegant, Feminine, Natural



2 comments:

  1. Hahaha. I HAD to laugh at your pharmacy joke (you're right, that's the ONLY time we'll run into people). According to this post, we have very similar personal styles. Elegant, effortlessly feminine, modest. I actually wrote a post about developing personal style that featured Grace Kelly and Audrey Hepburn. 😊 Really enjoyed this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the note, Elizabeth! I just discovered your blog today and am really enjoying reading through your posts. I think they will be really helpful as I discover my own sense of style. Plus your open faith in Christ is inspiring and wonderful to see.

      Delete