Inspiring Brand Details | Commercially Alternative

Friday, April 5, 2013

Inspiring Brand Details

While I'm still working on future sewing posts, I would like to start a new series of posts, Inspiring Brand Details. I would like to look at those little sewing details that can make brand details so special. Maybe my readers and myself can draw from these ideas and incorporate them into our own sewing.

This week I would like to look at this lovely new dress from Victorian Maiden. It is a part of their Rose Greeting Series called Rose Greeting Paulette Dress. The fabric features subtle striping, pale clusters of  flowers, and small birds carrying letters. I'm especially fond of the navy version. 



When I first saw the dress on the website, I had assumed that the skirt was gathered. However, I quickly noticed that it was actually a box pleat skirt. I then continued on my way, admiring the other dresses VM had to offer. But wait… I stopped and puzzled. The skirt had been incredibly full for a box pleat skirt. I went back and noticed this little detail.



There is a second fold in the pleat! How fun is that? And you can tell that it is still just a simple rectangle skirt because all of the stripes are perpendicular to the waistline. Now, it seems that second fold is not as… deep(?)… as the fold on top. Below is a drawing of what I think is happening at the waist.



Because of this, I'm afraid of the excess and not evenly distributed bulk. So I'm not sure how well it would work for me. However, I could be wrong in my drawing or the bulk might not make too much of a difference. Either way, it is still a really fun idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment