My Opinion of Lolita and Crosses | Commercially Alternative

Sunday, March 31, 2013

My Opinion of Lolita and Crosses


Happy Easter, everyone! I hope everyone is having a wonderful weekend. I love this pastel cutesy holiday. It's a time of delicious food, get togethers with family, blooming flowers, and an excuse to buy a brand new dress. Nothing wrong with that! For Christians, it's also a time to remember. When I think of Easter, I think of a cross rather than a fluffy bunny. Thus, I decided to talk about why I don't use crosses in my Lolita. 

A cross is the go-to theme for a gothic lolita. You see them in prints, jewelry, lace, embroidery, or backgrounds for photo shoots. There are so many lovely pieces that invoke a dark gothic imagery by the use of crosses. Moi Meme Moitie have a plethora of garments to choose from with this theme. 




However, the cross means so much more to me. It serves as a reminder. It's a reminder of suffering, death, sacrifice, and love. 

God became flesh and lived as a man. The Jews rejected Him as the prophesied Savior (as David and Isaiah said they would) and had Him crucified on the cross. Three days later He conquered death and rose from the grave. This is what we celebrate at Easter, the resurrection. It was all part of God's greater plan. Jesus is God and God is perfect. Thus, Jesus became the perfect, ultimate sacrifice. He became the substitutionary atonement for our sins. God loved us so much that He would suffer and die for us. We only have to believe in Him to receive the free gift of salvation. With Jesus' death and resurrection we have the opportunity for eternal life and a life not separated from God. Wow. Fantastic baby. (thumbs up if you know what K-pop song I'm referring too XD )

I feel that including crosses in Lolita would make it a fashion statement. I don't want something so meaningful to me to turn into an accessory. I don't even really like to wear a cross necklace in my everyday wear. 

The cross has no power and is not something to be worshiped. It is merely a symbol to remember. (Though I'm not sure how pleased God is with us using a pagan holiday to remember him, but that's a subject for another day) I'm not angry or offended when I see crosses used in Lolita. I just hope that if one does use them, that they remember it MEANS something to others. 

If you have any questions or comments please feel free to comment below or email me in the Contact Me tab above!

No comments:

Post a Comment