Headwear Appreciation Post Part 6: Mini Hats | Commercially Alternative

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Headwear Appreciation Post Part 6: Mini Hats

I'll be honest, mini hats were one of the first things I fell in love with when I discovered lolita… through anime. *gaspeth!* It was when I was first coming out of the otaku closet so to speak. I had been watching anime for a little while and had just been introduced to the wondrous world of manga. I started collecting pictures of all these wondrous characters with fabulous dresses, bonnets, and mini hats referred to as "gothic lolitas." Then, one day, the heavens opened up and the angels sang when I discovered that people actually wore these clothes! Coming from an anime and manga background, I admit, my tastes were quite tacky in the beginning. Luckily, I passed through this phase quickly and quietly with no access to funds nor any sewing skills. *phew!* Mary Magdalene and Victorian Maiden showed me the way to the true path. However, even now, little shrunken hats perched at skewed angles makes my heart flutter a bit. 

Mary Magdalene (Have I mentioned how this is my favorite dress of all time?)


Victorian Maiden


Innocent World



 Rose Melody



Just look at the beaded details

4 comments:

  1. Kyaa~ so cute!

    Do you know how to make these hats Super Bloomers?

    They would be adorable with little pins on them *_*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I new how to make hats. There are a few tutorials online for making mini top hats, but they all look so... sloppy. I like the ones that actually took millinery skills to make. I looked into some millinery tutorials, but I think I'll wait and see if a community college offers a class before I even think of tackling that monster. XD

      They would look adorable with little pins. ^_^

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness, your introductory paragraph makes me giggle because I could totally picture it in my head. XDD

    "Coming from an anime and manga background, I admit, my tastes were quite tacky in the beginning. Luckily, I passed through this phase quickly and quietly with no access to funds nor any sewing skills."

    Me, too! :O After I first learned of it (specifically at Anime Boston but not through anime itself, which is really weird), it took me some time before I got the hang of the aesthetic. :| Unfortunately, I did have funds (lawls) and a minimal amount of sewing skills, so I did actively make some mistakes. :| Fortunately, there's not a whole lot of photographic evidence out there that can attest to this. XDDDD I'll have to send you some. XD

    ANYWAY. >_> I think mini-hats are super, super tricky to work into coordinates, mostly because they've gotten such a bad rap over the years (I guess due to the fact that the poorly-designed ones are more numerous than the pretty ones), and I absolutely love the ones you've chosen~. :D I think the first photo under Victorian Maiden is particularly cute because of the color scheme and the model's bob. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. XD I would LOVE to see some pictures! That would be amazing! It makes me so glad to hear you went through the same thing. =^.^=

    I agree. They are very tricky. So often you see the hand sewn floppy out of proportion ones or the super cheap looking doll hats from Joann's. It's just not the same as brand. :/

    I really like the VM one too! I would have never thought of a mini straw top hat. XD

    ReplyDelete