Headwear Appreciation Post Part 1: Bonnets | Commercially Alternative

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Headwear Appreciation Post Part 1: Bonnets

Since I can't get any sewing done, I would like to take the next few weeks to look at all the wonderful things lolitas put on top of their heads. 

The bonnet is probably the most noticeably historic component of a lolita's outfit. However, bonnets worn by lolitas look nothing like their vintage counterparts. Check out http://www.victorianbonnets.com for some lovely examples of Regency, Victorian, and Edwardian hats and bonnets. 

I have a love/hate relationship with the bonnet. The floppy baby bonnets made by Baby the Stars Shine Bright and Angelic Pretty just embarrass me. I adore sturdy, well made bonnets that look like it took some millinery skills to make. A bonnet just screams decadence and beauty, but they are not the most flattering shape for most human beings. It's hard to pull off a giant disk surrounding one's head. Yet, I am drawn to them and I wish we would see more of them. 

Mary Magdalene: By far my favorite bonnet in the entire world. I love how the brim goes behind the ear and continues to the back of the head instead of perfectly framing the face. I feel that this style is much more flattering and can be worn by more people.





Metamorphose: This bonnet is charming in its simplicity and more closely resembles a historic shape. I feel this one tends to be flattering as well.



Millefleurs: This half-bonnet is the essence of gothic elegance. However, with the brim perfectly framing the face, it is much harder to look well in it.

click for larger image

Rococo Soul: This is from a little Taobao shop called Rococo Soul. They have a couple of bonnets, but this is my favorite of the bunch. I am in love with the creamy lace and flowers.


Ophanim: This half-bonnet is from the Etsy shop Ophanim, run by the same lolita that writes the wonderful blog, F Yeah Lolita. Again, so charming. I would love to have skill such as this.



And we can't have a bonnet appreciation post without this little gem from Angelic Pretty. Words just can't describe...



No comments:

Post a Comment