Scoop Neck Blouse Part 3: Construction | Commercially Alternative

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Scoop Neck Blouse Part 3: Construction

The semester has finally ended. It really is such a relief. I am so ready for a long winter break before the craziness of next semester starts. And with a vacation comes more time to sew!

When we last left our hero, the scoop neck blouse, the pieces were cut out. Now comes the long process of construction. The first part was sewing the darts on the front panels. This went smoothly enough and hopefully will fit well. I had pictures of the dart making process, but since everything was black on black it was a little hard to see anything. The next step was sewing the pin tucks. I had a little trouble with this as the instructions said to "stitch as close as possible to the fold." o_O Honestly, what is that supposed to mean? If I wanted to, I could stitch it so that the stitches are almost falling off the edge. Thus, I decided to stitch 1/8" tucks. There, a nice solid number. I'm a little worried though as there are four tucks on each side and too big tucks can really add up. Everything looked great until I pressed the pin tucks. I discovered that one had somehow managed to drift far far away from the others. :/ So I had to redo that one.


According to the pattern, the loops for the corset back are made out of ribbon. I wasn't sure how I felt about this. As I searched through my collection of brand blouse pictures, I noticed that, indeed, brand blouses use loops made out of the same material as the blouse. So I made a bias cut drawstring and cut it into small sections to form the loops. I'll go through the same method for the corset lacing too.






Next, I sewed the darts on the back panel. It took forever basting each of the loops to the dart. One's slightly crooked, but… I don't think it's too noticeable. 


And finally, I sewed the front and back panels together. I'm going a little out of order right now. I was supposed to sew the lace next to the pin tucks first, but I haven't purchased any yet. ^_^" I'm waiting for a sale. Hopefully, I can get more done so I can get a make up post out later this week.




It's a little hard to tell at this stage (especially without a dress form), but how does it look? Please feel free to contact me with any questions or suggestions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment