Merry Christmas! | Commercially Alternative

Saturday, December 24, 2011

Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas everyone! I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to share my faith with you all. (Or at least a greatly condensed version) This blog shall remain largely nonreligious. However, my beliefs are a big part of who I am and I think everyone has the right to share what they believe in. If you feel uncomfortable with this in any way, that is perfectly all right. Happy Holidays and I hope I see you next week for some regularly themed content.

I am a Christian. I consider myself nondenominational, but the theology of my local baptist church that I am currently attending really aligns with my own. I believe in the God of the bible and that He created everything. And I believe that He sent His son Jesus into this world. The Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit all make up the Trinity. They are three parts of the same whole.

Jesus was born to a virgin, Mary, in Bethlehem. He led a sinless life, performed miracles, and taught the word of God. He eventually died on the cross for our sins. He was the ultimate sacrifice, the perfect lamb. Three days later He rose from the dead. I believe all this and more was done such that it fulfills the prophecies of the Old Testament. 

Everyone sins and falls short of the glory of God. This means that no amount of good works can ever get anyone into heaven. However, Jesus died so that we may have eternal life. Salvation is God's free gift that is available to everyone.

Ephesians 2:8-9 "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith — and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God — not by works, so that no one can boast." (New International Version)

The only thing required for this salvation is to have faith in Jesus and believe in God. God has also promised that once you are saved, you are saved for life. Nothing can take away your salvation.

John 10:28-30 (Jesus is speaking) "I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father's hand. I and the Father are one." (NIV)

I believe that baptism is not the way to get into heaven. It is following Jesus' example, a symbol of Jesus washing away our sins and being reborn through him. It should be done once God has been excepted into your life. It is a public declaration that you believe that Jesus is your savior and that you will learn to walk in His ways.

Now, I also believe that Christians should live their lives by the following verses. 

Matthew 22:35-40 "One of them, an expert in the law, tested him with this question: "Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" Jesus replied: "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments." (NIV)

I try to live my life by this. God is all about love. He loves everyone, just as they are. He forgives all our sins, you just have to ask. He hears all our prayers. I believe he has a plan for all of us, though it's too complex for me to understand. I just have to have faith and trust in him.

Thank you so much for reading. If you have any questions or comments, please let me know! Keep in mind, anything that I consider hateful about my beliefs or anyone else's will be deleted. 

1 comment:

  1. I think you're very brave for posting this! :D I never talk about my religious beliefs because I'm so petrified that it'll bother other people, especially because a lot of my friends are not religious. I'll say at the very least, though, that I'm a Christian, as well, and several of my beliefs cross over with yours.

    Thank you for posting this!! <3

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete