Detatchable Blouse Ties and a Costume | Commercially Alternative

Sunday, October 23, 2011

Detatchable Blouse Ties and a Costume

After a couple of weeks of busy insanity, I’ve managed to get a couple of things done.

The first thing done was to add waist ties to my blouse! This simple project didn’t take much time at all. The ties are about an inch wide and about 24 inches long each. I wanted them to be longer, but this was all the fabric that I had left over. The best part was sewing the buttonholes and buttons. My sewing machine is really a dream to work with on both these fronts. I just insert the button into the buttonhole foot and adjust the width and my machine makes a lovely buttonhole all on its own. The most trouble I had was turning the ties right side out, especially the corners. No matter how hard I tried, I could not get crisp corners. This is definitely something for me to further research. In addition, I initially sewed on the buttons too high. However, this was a simple problem to overcome as I just snipped them off and quickly reattached them with my sewing machine.



I added some interfacing on the ends with the button holes as this is an area of high stress concentrations.


Ties pined and hand basted






Now I just have to figure out how to tie a nice bow behind me.


The second thing was my outfit for this year’s costume party.





Does anybody recognize it? It’s Danny Fenton from Danny Phantom! Yay for simplicity! It’s going to be a gender bender Danny, as I don’t feel like binding. In addition, what I thought was red fabric paint turned out to be a pinkish red with glitter. I really don’t know how that happened. I guess I don’t know what the word scarlet means. Despite that, I think it looks cool and it looks red if you're not looking too closely. I still have to buy some sneakers and paint them a matching pink glitter as well.


I used masking tape at the sleeves and neck to get crisp lines. This method worked best on the sleeves, but was troublesome on the curve of the neck. I also followed Happy Catmint's tutorial for the front oval. I had a little trouble as I think my X-acto knife was a little dull.

I hope that I can get some pictures of the blouse worn in the next couple of days. I’ll save pictures of my Danny shirt worn for after the party.

4 comments:

  1. Your blouse looks so good!! It practically looks like it came with ties, especially because you had the side buttons to match the front buttons. :D

    Your shirt came out really well, too! I'm so glad that you were able to utilize that tutorial (and thank you so much for mentioning me in a link; I really appreciate it. :3)

    Uggggghhhhh, the initial X-acto blade I used was so dull; I was practically hacking through the paperboard. It wasn't until I was on the third (and thankfully, most complicated) template that my boyfriend said, "Oh, your blade is so dull! Here, I've got this really sharp one." X_X So at least the complicated one came out crisply. XDDDD

    That, and his holder for the blade is all cushioned and stuff! O_o Fancy~. Mine's just a plain, old metal rod. D:

    Oh, also, what sewing machine do you own? I'm not sure if I've asked you that before. But it sounds like a really nice machine; my machine doesn't do automatic buttonholes, and it's not very versatile. It's a White Sew EZ, and I'm totally going to save up for a Viking. -_-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! I'm glad you think it looks good. ^_^

    You're welcome! And thank you for the tutorial! It came at exactly the same time I was thinking about doing Danny. I was contemplating using an iron on applique for the oval, but then I didn't know how to do the sleeves and neck. And then poof! You had a tutorial for a template! I had to sacrifice my dad's cereal box as I usually get bagged cereal. Haha

    I have a Brother XR-9000 computerized sewing machine. I bought it from Costco for an awesome deal. It really sews like a dream and I would highly recommend it. (though I don't know if this particular model is available anymore) Here's the link on the Brother website.

    http://www.brother-usa.com/Homesewing/ModelDetail.aspx?ProductID=XR9000#.TqScPo7psgk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh, thank you for the link~. I've heard that Brothers are nice machines, and it's even more reassuring to hear that you like yours a lot. :D

    I love wholesale stores, aaaaaah~. @_@ I have a BJ's Membership Card, but I've never been to a Costco~. I should goooooo~.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never even heard of a BJ's! Must not be any in my state.

    For some reason I always find it so fascinating when some states have things that others don't. Or when it's the same thing, just going by a different name. XD

    ReplyDelete