My First Blouse | Commercially Alternative

Monday, August 1, 2011

My First Blouse


I bet many of you think that this is a strange choice for my second Lolita garment. I mean, what beginner sewer in their right mind decides to tackle a blouse right off the bat? Moreover, a Lolita blouse at that! Well, I guess I’m just strange that way. I had a desire to make a blouse next and I found the perfect pattern so I thought, “Why not?”


I used the short sleeve blouse pattern with collar stand from McCall’s 6035 view A. It’s a lovely pattern with easy to follow instructions, princess seams, and different pattern pieces for different cup sizes. This last point was probably the major deciding factor, minimal alteration! The only altering I did was to lengthen it a bit. For decoration, I looked heavily at Innocent World blouses. I decided on some simple pin tucks down the front and ruffles at the collar and sleeves. I used 100% cotton off-white fabric from Hobby Lobby. I also used New Look pattern 6599 for the instructions for the pin tucks and how to attach a ruffle to the collar and sleeves.

I had a lot of fun creating this blouse. The collar gave me many issues and I had to do it over about 10 times, but I think it turned out really well being my very first collar. I suggest you have a bunch of extra ruffle gathered in around the curve of the collar. I didn’t have enough extra in the curve so when I turned it right side out it pulled at the ends funny. I used a 5/8 inch narrow hem on the ruffle edges, but, next time I make it, I’ll have at most a ½-inch hem, maybe smaller. The fit is amazing and I want to make it in the ¾-length sleeve as well. Not a common sleeve length in Lolita, but I think it’ll look cute. I would love to be able to use the body of the blouse and have a few long sleeve versions as well. However, I’m not sure if taking sleeves from one pattern and using them with the body of another is a good idea. I need to do more research. Here’s a picture of the finished project.




It was my first time sewing sleeves, collars, pin tucks, buttons, and ruffles. I’ve done buttonholes once before, but not on this machine. Despite that, I think I did a decent job. I definitely learned a lot. Next time I make this pattern for Lolita, I would like to add corset ties or just a simple waist tie in the back. I tried it on with a couple plain skirts and it has a tendency to bunch up over the top of the skirt. So ideally, that would fix this problem. Please correct me if I’m wrong. I’m debating about sewing in waist ties to this blouse, but I’m not sure if I have enough fabric. I also wish the fabric was a bit softer, but maybe it will loosen up a bit with wear.

What do you all think? Did it turn out well? If you have any questions or suggestions, please tell me. It’s only with your help and comments that I can improve.

(Side note that has nothing to do with Lolita: I think that the body of view A of New Look 6599, the sleeves from view D, and some drafted detachable sleeves would be the perfect blouse for Ciel’s costume in the Kuroshitsuji Visual Kei picture. =^.^=) 

5 comments:

  1. Oh, dang!! :D I have to go look for this pattern~. :3 I think your blouse looks cuter than the one in the picture of the model on the pattern envelope. XD

    Was it tricky to make the deep V-neck into a fully-closed blouse? Did it involve any pattern changes, or just the simple addition of extra buttons?

    And I agree with your comment about Ciel's blouse in that picture. XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, I used the Mccall's pattern for the main body of the blouse. That one closes all the way to the top, no modification necessary. I basically only used the New Look pattern as an instruction manual for how to add ruffles to a stand collar and sleeves and for the measurements for the pintucks.

    I really recommend the Mccall's pattern. It has different pattern pieces for different bra cup sizes so there's no need to alter it there. The instructions were very easy to follow too.

    If you're intimidated about making a blouse I would say this McCall's pattern is a great place to start. I've never done collars, sleeves, or the like until this and it turned out pretty well. I'm always here if you need any help too! ^_^ I would love to share my limited knowledge and mistakes.

    Oh! And if you ever want to add pintucks to any basic pattern, just pintuck the fabric first and then lay the pattern piece over it and cut out. This way you don't have to do any math or cut up a pattern piece. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooooh, I see! :O I don't know how I managed to miss that entire paragraph at the beginning; oopsie, sorry about that~. XD;;;

    I would have never though of pintucking the fabric first; thank you so much for mentioning that! :O I would have probably come up with some really unnecessarily-complicated pattern alteration and failed at its execution. XD

    Yay, I look forward to seeking your assistance! XD Your knowledge + my knowledge = lots of knowledge. XD

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so pretty! This is a beautiful model, and it looks so nicely made... a very impressive first blouse :D

    ReplyDelete