My First Petticoat | Commercially Alternative

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

My First Petticoat


I began my handmade lolita journey with the very foundation of a lolita’s ensemble, the petticoat. In love with classic lolita, I decided on an A-line petti. After searching many tutorials and even buying Simplicity’s current pattern for a petti, I chose to use Sugardale’s amazingly in-depth tutorial here. The tutorial was very easy to understand with many pictures to guide one every step of the way. Unfortunately, petticoats take an extremely long time, at least for my novice skill.

            I initially made the petticoat exactly like the tutorial. I used 4 yards of ivory colored sparkle organza from Hobby Lobby and matching organza ribbon from Hobby Lobby. If you use organza instead of tulle, Frey Check is EXTREMELY important! Do NOT skip this step! However, I was unsatisfied with the results. I wasn’t fond of the shape and size of the poof and I wasn’t happy with the organza being right against my skin. Though not as bad as tulle, I still wanted something like a satin. Therefore, I drew some inspiration from Victorian Maiden’s A line organdy panie and altered it a bit. I’m sure this will be a common trend throughout this blog.

Here are the changes:
  • Used the yoke pattern pieces from previously purchased Simplicity pattern 5006 shortened to match the petticoat length I wanted. I bought a half a yard of Ivory Satin from Hobby Lobby. This way I could have an elastic waistband instead of the hook and eye closure of Sugardale’s tutorial.
  • Made a matching middle and bottom tier from Sugardale’s tutorial using 2 more yards of the same fabric and sewed them together. Therefore, the petticoat has two layers of the middle and bottom tier. I then sewed these two layers to the yoke.

Here is a picture of the finished petti. It took me a couple of months to complete, but that was with me attacking it on and off during the school semester. The finished length is a little over 21 inches long, which is perfect for me since I’m tall.


All the gathering was quite tedious and I wanted to burn the thing by the time I was done, but after putting it on and twirling, all my troubles and hatred for the garment melted away. I absolutely loved how it turned out. However, since I do not have a Lolita skirt or dress I cannot attest to its shape quite yet, but I am optimistic! It has now turned into a source of inspiration for me. If I’m ever feeling down, I just throw on this fluffy thing, take a spin and all is well in the world once again.

Tell me about your first petticoat! Did you buy it or make it? Have you ever made your own petticoat? I would love to hear about everyone’s experience.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, your petti looks så beutiful! You're so good at sewing! My first petti was the greatest disaster in the world, i made it with some help from my mother-in-law :P Never again, hahaha ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, thank you! I just hope it looks good under a dress. ^_^"

    I hope you had fun making your disaster at least. xD

    ReplyDelete